Sunday, July 26, 2009

Charo's Peruvian Cuisine Review

Yesterday, we decided to go to Charo's Peruvian Cuisine with my sister-in-law and her husband, located in the Long Beach Towne Center. It was their first time visiting the restaurant, but I've been there twice and have loved it every time. 

Since I tend to be a creature of habit and crave particular dishes, I ordered the Saltado de Pollo, which has chicken, tomatoes, grilled onions, fries, and cilantro with a side of rice. This is a solid dish that is full of flavor and perfectly done every time. What's not to love about that combination, especially when fries are involved?!


I love using their green sauce -- which I haven't had a chance to ask what its made of...but its this cold/airy-like textured sauce that is similar in color to wasabi. In fact, it has quite a spicy kick to it like wasabi as well as a cilantro favor to it. Honestly, i don't know what is in it, but it nicely contrasts the saltiness of the dish and a must-have in my mind when eating the dish. 

My sister-in-law ordered the Arroz con Pollo. It is a dish where the chicken is simmered with onion, garlic, spices, "teamed with cilantro". In fact, the whole dish looked rather green and I would have to say that the star flavor of the dish was the cilantro. I am a big fan of cilantro, so from that one bite, I loved it already. Next time around, I'm going to order that dish and see if I love it as much as the Saltado de Pollo. I'll let you know how it is when I have a whole plate of it. 

My sister-in-law's husband ordered this Spicy Pollo dish--sadly, I cannot remember the real name of it. I had a little sample -- it sort of reminded me of an Asian curry -- but not exactly. He loved his dish...can't comment much more on it...

I've also tried their Col Saltado for lunch about a year ago: Chicken or beef (i had the chicken) with cabbage, tomatoes, onions, and cilantro served with rice. It's only 6.95 and comes with soup or salad. I remember feeling a bit hungry after that meal since their was not as much protein as I would have hoped. But the flavor was good. If I was going to suggest Col Saltado versus the Saltado de Pollo--i'll have to vote for Saltado de Pollo though if you love fries...(which I do). 

Maybe one of these days, I'll venture to try another one of their dishes, possibly with beef....Why mess with goodness though? hahah.

New Rating System: (I will rate within each restaurant price category, which will be - Very expensive, Expensive, Moderately priced, Inexpensive)
Price of food: Moderately priced (about 11-15 dollars a dish)
Quality of food: 5 stars for the price of food
Service: Excellent
Environment: Comfortable
Would I go back?: Yes
Recommended?: Yes

Location:
Charo's Peruvian Cuisine
7563 Carson St. Long Beach Towne Center
Long Beach, CA
http://www.charosperuvian.com/

1 comment:

Amy said...

Good shot of the green sauce!!! You make me hungry with your descriptions...nice job chow chaser!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin