Sunday, September 27, 2009
Kimchi Fried Rice
Kimchi - love the taste but the smell that it leaves in your breath and in your refrigerator is another story. Kimchi is a korean side dish that is made from pickled cabbage. Its spicy and veeeerrry garlicky. (There are apparently different types and spices that can be used). Anyways, when I was in high school, a group of us would hang out at Korean friend's house with a fridge well stocked with kimchi. We would always know if the fridge was opened...people would start yelling--WHO OPENED THE FRIDGE? WHY DID YOU OPEN THE FRIDGE?! hahaha.. But, the taste, well..yum! I love it. Anyways, I went over to a friend's house one day and had kimchi fried rice for the first time (yay janice!). Delicious!
We had some left over kimchi in our fridge and figured it would go really well with this beef noodle tofu soup, so we decided to whip up a make-shift version of the kimchi fried rice. All you need is some leftover kimchi sliced up, leftover rice, onions (green +/- regular) and your well on your way...
Kimchi Fried Rice
- White rice
- Onions (green or regular or both)
- Soy sauce
- Bibimjang Red pepper paste
1. Saute garlic in a little olive oil
2. Add onions (either green or yellow or both) and saute till translucent if using yellow onions. We added both.
3. We had some leftover beef strips from another meal so we threw it in. You can leave out the meat or add spam or thick ham or any leftover meat you have. Thats what's so great about this recipe. You can throw in leftovers!
4. Add the kimchi
5. Couple swirls of soy sauce and saute everything
6. Throw in leftover rice
7. Mix well
8. We added some Bibimjang-Seasoning Red pepper paste for some spice
9. For presentation, add a few sprigs of parsley or cilantro or green onions for more color.
If you want to have an egg pancake, here are the directions below. You could place it on top or below the rice.
1. Beat 5 eggs (for 4 people)
2. Add 3 tablespoons of water. Mix
3. Salt to taste
4. Pour into flat round pan. Let it fry until cooked. Flip once.
Voila! Kimchi Fried Rice. I'm craving some now...If only I could bring it to work...Ooo the evil looks I would get if I did...hahaha.